Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Top 5: 2014

As I already did in 2012 and 2013, here it is the 2014's Top 5.

I always find very hard to make a ranking, which could mean a sort of 'order of preferences'. With this year's top 5, with very heavy experiences for me, the numbers should only be considered as a way to list them. All of them are very special in their sort of way!

5Eagles
During this year I've seen all usual Palearctic Eagles. The first one was a Greater Spotted Eagle (Aquila clanga) that was wintering in Catalonia. Then I've seen some Golden Eagles (Aquila chrysaetos) in the Pyrenees. During the spring and the start of summer, a couple of Bonelli's Eagles (Aquila fasciata) appeared close to my village, and I could see it preety well. In Israel we saw an Eastern Imperial Eagle (Aquila heliaca), some Lesser Spotted Eagles (Aquila pomarina) and some Steppe Eagles (Aquila nipalensis) too. In summer, in Falsterbo, I saw 3 Lesser Spotted Eagles more. The last species appeared in S Spain, the very wanted Spanish Imperial Eagle (Aquila adalberti). Of course, Booted Eagle (Aquila pennata) is common in Spain.
I also want to mention the nice numbers of Ospreys (Pandion haliaetus) that I saw in spring migrating through my area, that made the 'eagle year' more consistent.


4Ringing in Catalonia
My second year as an 'A license' ringer has been very interesting. I guess I've ringed more than 2000 birds of 90 species with 'my rings', in many projects I've just started. The number of hours I've spent on it is, probably, countless. If I had to choose a handful of birds, I would say: the Southern Grey Shrike (Lanius meridionalis), Coot (Fulica atra), 2 Moorhens (Gallinula chloropus), 20 Common Quails (Coturnix coturnix), 6 Golden Orioles (Oriolus oriolus), 2 Western Orphean Warblers (Sylvia hortensis), Lesser Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos minor), Rock Bunting (Emberiza cia), Alpine Accentor (Prunella collaris) 14 European Nightjars (Caprimulgus europaeus), 4 Bee-eaters (Merops apiaster) and more than 500 Reed Buntings (Emberiza schoeniclus) during the autumn!


3Iberian Lynx
The most endangered felid in the world. We had the chance to see it, and really really well. Also, many Iberian Azure-winged Magpies (Cyanopica cooki), Spanish Imperial Eagle (Aquila adalberti) and much more... One of my biggest dreams made real. (see post)


2- Arabian Warbler: Israel trip
Together with Martí and Marcel, we went to Israel in April. I find quite difficult to emphasise a moment, but maybe Arabian Warbler was one of the most exciting birds. We walked for hours in the middle of the desert, checking everything, until we found them, It was an amazing trip. We should repeat soon! #DoNotCrossTheBorder (see post)


1Falsterbo
Another season in Sweden, with the best ringing staff possible. Tack to everyone who made the experience so productive and extremely unforgettable, one more time!!!

Photo by Björn Malmhagen

I think 2015 will be even better than 2014. Believe my feelings. And I hope I can continue enjoying it with all of you that make my life as exciting!

Molt bon any nou!
Happy New Year!
Gott Nytt År!

No comments:

Post a Comment