Sunday, December 16, 2012

Winter has arrived

Despite the fact that today was a sunny day, wintering birds are definitely here, and this is a good year for some species.
In my grantparents' garden, I saw 2 Firecrests (Regulus ignicapilla), 1 Coal Tit (Periparus ater) and 1 Crested Tit (Lophophanes cristatus). All species are locally scarce in Santpedor, my village.

In the afternoon, I went to Juncadella countries, a big dry-farmed land zone. I was looking 3 Yellowhammers (Emberiza citrinella) when a Merlin (Falco columbarius) tried to catch some birds. All Chaffinches (Fringilla coelebs), Corn Buntings (Emberiza calandra), Rock Sparrows (Petronia petronia) and Cirl Buntings (Emberiza cirlus).


Later, I went to Torrent Fondo, a reedbeed and a Pinus halepensis and Pinus pinea forest place that is also a nice site for wintering birds. Two years ago, in 2010, I saw some Fieldfares (Turdus pilaris) there, and there is a Yellowhammer's roost.
I saw a Brambling (Fringilla montifringilla) inside a big Chaffinch flock. 2 Firecrests and 2 Yellowhammers more, just to complete a good afternoon. I didn't see any Mistle Thrush (Turdus viscivorus), that is so abundant in winter...
  

1 comment:

  1. Ei Marc! Avui he estat aquí:

    http://www.lagunadesarinena.com/

    Diuen que és un bon lloc per veure-hi bèsties, però jo m'he centrat més en mirar el terra! Molt guai el blog, fins aviat!

    Carles

    ReplyDelete